Virginia Living Museum
For the Birds Birdhouse Competition and Exhibit
Deadline March 15, 2013
For nature lovers, designers, artists, craftspeople who give a hoot about birds.
- Encourage construction of functional and aesthetically pleasing birdhouses
- Encourage the use of environmentally sensitive materials
- Encourage artistic and hand-crafted approaches to birdhouse design
- Demonstrate ways to attract birds by creating unique backyard habitats
- Inspire creativity in backyard habitats
build sturdy houses. We cannot stress enough the importance of
durability. The exhibit will be outdoors for April and May.
- We encourage functional birdhouses. There will a resource guide to help you with the appropriate hole size, material choices, etc. Go to wild-bird-watching.com.
- All birdhouses must be original works created by the exhibitor. Commercially produced birdhouses or assembled kits will not be eligible for prizes.
- Size limitations: The base of the birdhouse may not exceed 24” square. The height of the birdhouse may not exceed 36” tall.
- All birdhouses must be freestanding and ready for installation outdoors on a post or from a hanger. The birdhouse bottom must be able to accommodate mounting or if the birdhouse is to be hung, a study hanger must be attached.
- Please keep the environment in mind when selecting your materials. The birds appreciate non-toxic finishes and natural materials. Natural, recycled and repurposed materials are encouraged.
- For more information call 757-534-7487.
For the Birds is made possible through a grant from the Newport News Arts Commission.
Birdhouses will be judged for functionality, creativity and use of natural, recycled and repurposed materials. Awards will be given in three age categories and a People’s Choice Award.
Adult (18 yrs +)
Top Award $350 Ribbons will be given to second and third place entries.
Youth (ages 10 -17 yrs)
Top Award $100 Ribbons will be given to second and third place entries.
Grandparent Helper (ages 5 -9 yrs with assist from an adult)
Top Award $50 VLM Fun Card Ribbons will be given to second and third place entries
People’s Choice Award
Submit a jpeg of the entry to the Virginia Living Museum and encourage your friends to vote for you on our website: the vlm.org. Winner receives a $25 VLM Fun Card.
March 9-15 to the VLM front desk (524 J Clyde Morris Blvd, Newport News, VA 23601).
No entries accepted after 5 p.m. on Friday, March 15.
Reception and Awards Presentation
April 6, 5:30 p.m. at the VLM
Exhibition on display
April 6 – May 30
Pick up dates
April 8 -12 for those birdhouses not chosen for exhibit
June 3- 10 for those birdhouses chosen for exhibit
- Download an entry form
- Bring your birdhouse to the VLM March 9-15, 2013.
- No entries will be accepted after 5 p.m. March 15.
- Limit of two entries per person.
- $10 fee required per entry.
- Participants must be willing to leave their birdhouses for exhibit through June 2013.
- Birdhouses may be picked up at specified dates or donated to the VLM for display
- The VLM reserves the right to refuse submissions