Facility Rental General Information
The Virginia Living Museum is a private, non-profit institution, whose mission is to help preserve and protect our natural heritage by enhancing the science literacy and environmental awareness of people of all ages. The building and collections are an important part of the Museum’s mission and their care is the responsibility of the Museum staff. The use of the Museum’s facilities is made available under the specific conditions outlined below for the purpose of making the Museum and its programs more widely known to the public.
- All events are after operating hours only
- Fees are based on a 4-hour minimum
- Each additional hour over the 4-hour will be billed at $200 per hour
- All uses of the facility require prior approval by the Museum’s Executive Director and are available on a first come first serve basis. All requests must be made at least eight weeks in advance.
- All food must be prepared by a licensed caterer.
The Virginia Living Museum does not provide staff to service buffet lines, setup or breakdown of catering equipment. This is the responsibility of the caterer. Food and rental of equipment should be arranged through the caterer at client’s expense. The Museum has available for use twenty 60” round tables, 200 chairs, ten 6 foot rectangular tables (no linens available) and can provide a list of caterers, event planners and rental companies to assist in additional needs. Museum staff will only set-up our own tables and chairs.
Use of designated staging areas for setup beginning at 3:00 p.m. on the day of the event and 2 hours of takedown at the conclusion of the event are permitted. Set-up within the Museum will not occur until the Museum closes. Any additional time needed for takedown, rehearsal, & any activity related to the event will be billed at the $200 per hour rate. We cannot provide storage for items before the day of the event.
- Confirmed reservations are made by presenting the following: signed Facility Rental Letter of Agreement; copy of Certificate of Insurance (if required), a $300 security deposit check and 50% of rental fee (remaining 50% rental fee is due 2 weeks prior to the event); and Alcoholic Beverage Permit, if applicable. We allow two weeks for contract review and to make the deposit.
- The Museum has the right to cancel a tentative phone reservation.
- Security deposit is refundable upon inspection of facility after event, but is forfeited if event is cancelled.
- Cancellation less than 2 weeks prior to the event will result in a loss of all deposits and security deposits.
- Guided tours, animal programs or planetarium shows during your event can be arranged by request, additional charges may apply and are based on availability of staff.
Jennifer Turlington (E-mail)
Facility Rental Coordinator
Direct Line- 757-534-7402
524 J. Clyde Morris Boulevard
Newport News, VA 23601